Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Can We Talk About Scripture Without Physics?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on August 28, 2001 12:03:28 UTC

A quote from jisbond from a post below:

"Earlier I was just suggesting to temporarily eliminating the subject of physics from the discussion because by its nature physics only can explain the physical. I am writing about what is spiritual and physics cannot explain the nature of spirit simply because physics deals with the physical world. "

I have yet to read any post that describes the nature of the spirit. Can anyone describe the nature of the spirit? What we have been talking about is scripture versus science. It's inevitable that we discuss scripture this way because scripture is full of physical processes. It contains a great deal of cosmology, which can be brought into agreement with current scientific cosmology only with a very liberal interpretation and even rearrangement of the text, certainly not with a literal one. Evolution in six days and a 6,000 year old earth is in very direct conflict with scientific truth.

Even the commands or laws presented in scripture are all about physical processes. Like whether or not to drink wine. One scripture commands you to drink wine on religious holy days and other scripture commands you to never drink wine, even if it could save your life. In fact the only spiritual aspects of the scriptures that I know are the laws concerning love. Eveything else is physical. And Alexander would of course say that love is also physical.

So despite the nature of this forum, I would be pleased to discuss spirit without bringing in physics. But it will be a real challenge to do so without bringing up physical processes.

What distresses me the most about discussions on this forum is when anyone tries to undermine the truth of scientific truth. If you are a materialist, it's all you have to believe in. If you are a theist, I think that you should believe that scientific truth is god's truth- that god has given us a means to establish truth. The realm of scientific truth is limited to physical processes. So everything else is open to question. But if we take scripture as a guide, there ain't much else that really matters.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins