Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm A Little Puzzled

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on August 28, 2001 02:21:15 UTC

Hi Paul,

>>>So, I am still a Platonist. I think there are two worlds, the describable and the indescribable.>I say "discovering" because that's the way it seems to happen. It's just like discovering the varieties of chess games that can be played once the rules are laid down. Those chess games really didn't exist anywhere before the game was invented, and similarly, the theorem didn't really exist anywhere prior either. So 'discovery' is probably not an appropriate word, but it is customary.>H: "To say 'usefulness' is to beg the question. Why is it useful is the question." P:
I tried to explain why it is useful when I said, " At our scale, there are many things whose noticeable identity persists long enough for us to count them." Science produces its best (or only) results when it can define metrics and make measurements in order to describe things in numbers. This can only be done for things that stay the same long enough for us to measure them and report on the measurement. Fortunately for us, there are many such things in our world and that is why the method has been so useful.>As you know, Harv, I have a difficult time responding to any discussion of "isms" simply because I don't know what they mean. How about a deal: You commit to mastering the math necessary to understand Dick's paper, and I'll commit to mastering the meaning of all these "isms" so that I can discuss them with you. Deal?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins