Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Burden Of Proof

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Cold Diggity Cat/">Cold Diggity Cat on September 24, 1999 16:10:27 UTC

: It seems to me that the religions of the world do not have the burden of proof, rather the burden has been placed on the nay sayers.

: I grew up in a religious upbringing. As a child christmas was a huge holiday, as it is for most westerners. Santa Claus had more influence on my actions than "God" did, although we went to church on christmas eve or christmas each year.

: At a very young age I had my doubts about Santa Claus. In early elementary school is was often a hot topic, some kids didn't know and it wasn't polite to break the news to them. Santa didn't care if you were good or bad, he didn't exist, but your parents sure had it easier if you were good for most of the year.

: Most religions, if not all, have a consequence/reward system for your actions. Heaven and Hell are obvious examples. I still maintain you could give Adolf Hitler 100 years in hell for every Jew that died in the Holocoust, and that would be plenty of punishment. But hell is infinitly worse than that, and most "non christians" are no where near the tyrant Hitler was.

: So why does an All Knowing, All Powerful, All Good God endorse this sytem. He must endorse it, for he is all powerful. If he didn't, it wouldn't exist. It is not our place to ask why, or question anything, according to many of the worlds religious people. But I will continue to ask these questions, and I will continue to insist the burden of proof is on the "claimer". Extrodinary claims require extrordinary proof. The Bible itself is peppered with inconsistences and vague passages. Perhaps its vagueness has kept it alive, for it can get around anything. Evolution as an example. At first, the religious community insisted this wasn't possible. As evidence continued to mount, soon their stories changed. Oh, well Genisis is misinterpreted. "God just got the ball rolling, and we evolved from there."

: I do not rule out the existence of a higher power(s). But if there is a higher power who actually cares about us, as the christian god is said to, then why is everything a big secret. Come out and help us. We did not ask for this, you created us. People are suffering, people are being damned to hell because they were raised in households with different beliefs. Much of our future is based on chance and not choice. Talk to us, not through prayer but out loud so everybody can here you. Whats the problem, is this fun for you to watch us struggle.

: H :

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins