Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Luis

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on August 23, 2001 12:37:19 UTC

Hi Luis,

It's good to see you over here! I've always found you one my favorite skeptic buddies. Regarding my comment please don't take it as arrogance, Alex has a habit of not putting his all into the posts and sometimes even to the point of just parroting trite statements without replying in full.

A non-materialist, in my opinion, does have the problem of being classified as a theist. The reason is that there are no limits on the existence of theorems that are 'out there' and for every earthly action we could say that there is a theorem of the mathematical Whole that dictates the circumstances. If this immaterial, omnipresent, omnipotent 'force' isn't what most people call 'God' then I don't what else would qualify (even the process theologians' view of God is not so omnipotent in the world as Alex's implication of this non-material entity).

As for a discussion on this, we can discuss this subject here, but I've found it harder to have extended discussions because the threads get pushed down out of sight and you can't post weeks later without having to start another thread. Having future participation from others then makes it virtually impossible. It is much easier in my view to have this kind of discussion at counterbalance. Don't get me wrong, on shortterm discussions that you just want to engage a scientific audience with a number of people participating at once this is a better forum for those purposes. I just prefer being able to open a thread 2 years ago and continue a discussion based on the last posted reply.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins