Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Signal-to-noise

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on August 17, 2001 17:59:39 UTC

I agree that reality with regard to scripture is a combination of #3 & #4. There is truth or signal from god (or whatever) in scripture. But it is also corrupted by the noise of human distortion.

So I like to use the conventional scientific approach to enhancing signal in the presence of noise. That is to integrate over many events. In this case that means comparative religion, or more accurately comparative scripture.

Principles that appear over and over again in all religions result in a very strong signal. And contradictory principles may suggest more subtle principles at work. A corrollary to this approach is that any one limited to one set of scripture is apt to receive a weak signal and not be able to distinguish the signal from the noise. I think this applies to those who only accept proven science as well.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins