Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Transcendent To Zero

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on August 10, 2001 19:15:08 UTC

>>>I don't think you believe in God.>Apparently you think you do but your God is as close to anyone's definition of God as to be completely meaningless.> I don't have a problem with that God of yours but I wonder why anyone would waste time with it. I mean, what is the use for your God? Does it answer prayers? Perform miracles? Talk to you? Makes any difference in anyone's life?The other day I met this guy who has a webpage on natural theology. His basic argument was that Jesus was not the son of God, never performed miracles, didn't ressurect or ascended to heaven, but was a very wise man nonetheless and his teachings are valuable for what they are, no supernaturalism required to follow Christ's words. Personally I have no idea who Jesus was or even if he existed at all but I do see a problem in that argument. If Jesus was not divine who cares what he said?>So I wrote to this guy asking him that question, and he thought I was a religious person trying to convince him that Jesus was indeed divine, and he replied to me with the same nonsense (or rather, ordinary commonsense) I had already read in his webpage. When I replied again telling him that I wasn't concerned about Jesus, but simply about the philosophical problems in his arguments he simply dropped out of the discussion telling me that philosophizing is fine but pretty much useless. Can you believe that?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins