Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sorry, I Just Can't Take Alex Serioulsy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on August 3, 2001 14:24:29 UTC

Hi Mario

I didn't mean that to sound bitter, it was just an allusion to the main character in Dostoevsky's most famous novel, Crime and Punishment. Dostoevsky, who was a genius and suffered from a form of epilepsy which caused him to have visions of God, makes an excellent point on how it's ultimately inhuman to be too rational, that without taking some things on faith we might as well just kill each other to guarantee that the smartest amongst us thrive and the ignorant perish.

You see, there's more to life than reason alone, if you don't have feelings, emotions, passions, love, a desire for some kind of cosmic feeling, then you are not fully human, no matter how much math you know. Of course being rational is also part of being human, but in my opinion you should never allow one aspect of being human override the other, even when they are inconsistent. Instead of science OR religion why not reason AND feeling? If they don't get along well, leave each to its own.

I do get the feeling that Alex thinks that understanding nature from a mathematical point of view is all there is to life. I'd rather see the earth explode in an atomic holocaust than be surrounded by six billion biological robots. But hey, that's just me.

Warm regards

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins