Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Take A Realist Attack, Just Organized!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on July 30, 2001 20:08:45 UTC

Harv,

I think you have failed to comprehend what I said and likewise what I am doing in my thesis. First of all, I fully understand what your definition of realist constitutes. Let me point out a subtle aspect of what you have said in your response.

Harv: >>> As an illustration, let's say that I was a realist about the substance of the wooden desk that my arms are resting on. In ancient times past, I might have thought that this wood is reduceable to 'earth'. And, maybe I thought the sun was reduceable to 'fire'. I am being a realist about the nature of substances.>Now, we all know that a naive realist view of hard wood is mistaken. Physicists armed with calculators have shown that hard wood is actually composed of molecules, and that this state of affairs is reduceable to atoms, and that is reduceable to sub-atomic particles, and that's reduceable to quarks and leptons, etc.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins