Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Space And Vision: A Quiz

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 27, 2001 16:39:38 UTC

I have seen this sort of riddle in several places and I never saw a satisfying solution to it. Here it is:

Our notion of three-dimensional space is based on our sense of vision. We see things as being away from us because their images appear in specific positions in space which we are convinced have nothing to do with us. The interesting thing is that we know exactly where those images are: our retinae, and nowhere else.

Now I'd like to ask a question to those who believe space is "out there" and not "in here". Who or what takes the image from our retinae and puts it where we believe it "really" is? Before you answer "the brain, stupid", think carefully about it. If you say that, you are basically saying that your brain fools you into thinking that the images are where they are not. Your brain is making you believe in a lie.

Knowing that the images are in our eyes and not out there where they appear to be, doesn't it make sense to reevaluate our idea of what space really is? Or better just to forget the issue?

(in case you haven't noticed, this is just an attempt to expose how an illogical argument crumbles down by itself, no esoterism required)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins