Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Meaning Of Life

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on July 27, 2001 16:36:12 UTC

"Try this experiment: ask any atheist, what is the meaning of life? He'll tell you that life has no meaning. Ask them back, why do you keep living then, why don't you just shoot yourself in the head? I'm pretty sure they will give you an answer that is ultimately inconsistent with their belief that life has no meaning."

I know that this point is minor to your whole post, but I need to address it anyway (even with your disclaimer at the bottom.) Personally I think whoever says Existence=0 is deluding themselves. More like existence=existence. My view is that life's only purpose is life itself. In that case, why end it?

Also, the reason the atheists you refer to don't commit suicide is they're terrified of it (me included.) It's better to accept the inevitable decades down the line than five minutes from now at the wrong end of a gun, right? Enjoy it while it lasts.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins