Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Here's My Problem With Dick's Line Of Thinking

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on July 27, 2001 03:17:27 UTC

First and foremost, let me say that I think Dick is right. I agree that our senses corrupt the information around us and that nothing is totally reliable.

The problem arises when people say "Since anything is possible, I'll believe whatever I want and no one can disprove me." I hate it when people do this. We'll never be totally right, but that fact alone does not justify believing in what feels good to you. I don't see scientific discovery as and end in itself ("This is truth") but rather a means to an end ("The truth is in THAT direction, men! Let's keep on going!") This makes all the difference in the world.

Another problem I have is when anyone expresses any opinion of any kind someone says "Well, you can't really know that, now can you? (Blows raspberry)" This is counterproductive. I will admit that Dick is right, but you have to be careful about the application of that logic. I can't know anything for sure. But at the same time, I get a nagging feeling that Dick is advocating giving up: saying "Well, since I can't know anything I'm not even going to try and I'm going to ridicule anyone who does." I personally view this as horrible. Even if I can't draw any 100% sure conclusions, at least I'm moving in the right direction. Not all concepts are created equal. If you disagree, try not eating for a month, and tell yourself "I can't know for sure I need to eat to live."

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins