Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Defining The Problem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on July 25, 2001 19:53:32 UTC

Aurino,

I'm trying to define the exact nature of the problem. Your analogy is helpful, but it doesn't answer the question on what *you* mean by 'understand how the machine works'. What if ET has a stockpile of older discarded machines and as chief scientist I have the opportunity to look into the construction of those models (assuming they have limited functioning)? Wouldn't that be a good start since I can see what led up to the present machines?

What I need to know, is do you want to discuss the machine that ET left, or do you want to discuss the earliest traces of a machine possessing some form of knowledge? Looking at all the previous models which attributes of knowledge are you most concerned with (i.e., this ET culture is an ancient civilization going back 4 billion years and we see they've made machines going back almost 4 billion years)? For example, are you concerned with the ability of the machine to possess memory? recognition?, cognition?, sensitivity to inputs?

It's easy to throw out a whole conundrum of ideas and ask that it be answered as a whole, but these 'machine functions' are not one attribute. All the functions are visible in the one leftover ET machine, but looking at the past collection of machines we don't see that. We need to distinguish which attribute (one by one) that you are most concerned about. Without this analysis we are just throwing out riddles without any serious attempt to understand how those riddles may be answerable.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins