Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Morality Is Just Encoded Behaviour

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 25, 2001 15:49:20 UTC

Mario,

I was enthusiastic about your first post and disappointed about the last. There are a few things which I think you must see clearly before we can agree:

1) Consciousness is an unnecessary complication when it comes to behaviour and should never be mentioned as an explanation as it creates unsolvable problems. I thought you said that in your first post but I'm not sure anymore.

2) The problem of creating knowledge has nothing to do with biology. It's a purely abstract problem, as abstract as knowledge itself. It can only be solved on an abstract level, saying "evolution did it" is simply a restatement of the fact that it has been solved.

3) Societies don't have minds. If morality is not somehow encoded in a creature's mind then our definition of morality is inconsistent with our definition of mind.

When I used the word morality (good and bad) I was actually referring to some deep intellectual process which must exist behind it and must be its cause. I have plenty of reason to believe that whatever it is that prompts moral behaviour in human beings also exists in every living creature. If you think otherwise you are taking an anthropocentric position, although you may not realize it.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins