Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Harvey, What Is A "divine Order"?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on July 18, 2001 17:03:27 UTC

And why to attract unknown mysterious entity with completely unknown properties if known (math) works fine on all levels?

Also, somehow you appeal to philosophy as a criteria of what is right or wrong:
The point is that there are philosophical problems with a material order without mathematical order, and there are philosophical problems with a mathematical/material order without a divine order. I know you would like to dismiss a divine order as unnecessary, but your metaphysics has problems which I pointed out. In order to have a pure mathematical order you probably will need an infinite collection of all possible 'math worlds'. This option is very unappealing and frankly I think untenable. A divine order has none of those problems and is very easy to picture why such an order exists to the universe.

Philosophy is not a science, it is basicly individual's opinion as to how to generalize known to that particular individual natural laws or latest natural discoveries to all universe. At Aristotel time all processes in universe was explained by philosophy as a competition of "seking natural place" objects (air, water, earth and fire). Later after Galileo and Newton it became "absolute order" of coherent events. Yet after Einstein and Plank elements of relativity and chance (probability) begin to dominate in philosophy. Now, I guess,symmetries and neo-Pithagorah mathematical order (enriched by supplementing quantum fluctuations) emerge as leading trend in mordern philosophy.

So, appealing to philosophy is not much more valuable than appealing to the Bible - aberrated description of physical world with huge grain of imagination (myths).

About "all possible math worlds". There are none. You can have only different mathematical worlds if you start with different dimensions of space or prohibit some basic symmetries. So, again it is not a question why is world such as we see it - it is such because of such initial conditions (dimensionality and values of c, h, G). The question now is why space happen to be 3-dimensional (and not 4 or 2) and why c = 3x10^8 m/s instead of any other numerical value.

And I do not think that senseless words "divine order" will ever explain that. But math will - as it always did before.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins