Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Mathematics As The Divine Order

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on July 17, 2001 19:41:41 UTC

"I know you would like to dismiss a divine order as unnecessary, but your metaphysics has problems which I pointed out. In order to have a pure mathematical order you probably will need an infinite collection of all possible 'math worlds'. This option is very unappealing and frankly I think untenable."

I know I can't compete with you on this playing field, but I'll try anyway. Why would you need an infinite collection of all possible math worlds? Isn't it enough to say "Here are all the possibilities, out of which only one emerged?"

Just because an idea is unappealing doesn't mean it's untenable. I find the theory of relativity unappealing, but it is at least highly accurate (i.e. validated again and again.) I find cauliflower unappealing, too, but it still grows quite proficiently. :)

"A divine order has none of those problems and is very easy to picture why such an order exists to the universe."

The only reason your divine order has such properties is because you know nothing about it. It's easy to take some theoretical divine order, with no known properties, and say "Well, it must be this way because I think it's appealing." Isn't it possible, or even probable, that an external divine order to the universe would have many of the same properties that you find unappealing in mathematics?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins