Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Pardon Me For Butting In

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on July 16, 2001 22:42:04 UTC

But I find compelling points on both sides of the above argument.

On one hand, if this universe came from a completely symmetrical state, like a vacuum with nothing in, in what state were the laws of physics stored. A distinct possibility is in a mathematical state, but that does not mean that such a state has real existence. But since the laws of physics seem to have an existence independent of the completely symmetrical state which can presumably hold no information, then where is that information stored? That is rather metaphysical, but I think it's a meaningful question.

The laws of physics are clearly mathematical for us. But here there is a kind of duality between math and physical law. What breaks the duality is that as I understand it, there is much more math than there are laws of physics. I read that the mathematicians have produced much more math than the physicists have been able to use. So if we are indeed near a theory of everything, then why so much wasted mathematics if math is fundamental.

And if you believe in Chaitin, the world of rational math are really just small islands in a sea of irrational math, whatever that means.

If math is fundamental, then there must, in my opinion, be some kind of agency that picks the appropriate math for each new universe. We could call that agency god. But that is unfairly using Alexanders metaphysics to invoke a god on the basis of much more math than physical laws seem to require.

All that aside, what I really want to know is where the laws of physics are stored long before they are needed. Its the DNA of the universe. There seems to be a blueprint that decides how everything behaves at every energy level, long before it reaches that level.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins