Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I See What Your Saying But There's A Problem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mike Banks on July 10, 2001 16:40:02 UTC

Ok now I understand where you are coming from. The problem is though, while you can apply your post to infinite in the future, it wouldn't necessarily work for the past.

"we are always talking about a finite amount of time, and then just thinking that the finite amount of time gets larger and larger"

This works if you are approaching infinite. The problem is if the timeline is infinite, with an infinite past and no beginning, you can't approach infinite because it already passed. You are explaining how to measure time on an infinite timeline back in time, when this really would only work forward in time.

Think of this. You have an infinite sized circle(time), which is contracting at a constant rate of 1in/day. The goal is for the circle to contract to a radius of 1in.(the present). Let's say the circle did contract to 1in. So you want to figure out how long it took. So you measure the circle as it was before, getting bigger and bigger. There is a finite amount of time between the 1in radius mark and where it is at constantly. But you realize that it will expand forever so you can never measure a total amount of time.

My point is infinite is always a finite number when measuring forward, but infinite is not a number, it's a never ending process. Just implying time has existed forever is exactly saying a never ending process has come to an end.

If no one can understand what self-contradiction is involved to believe an infinite past of time has occured, then there's nothing I can do.

Richard I really do understand what you are saying, but your argument will only work going forward, not backward, it time.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins