Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Whole Point Is My Beliefs Are NOT Set

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on July 9, 2001 19:14:46 UTC

I consider myself a pretty open minded person. Your God may exist. I won't come out and say "there is no God." But currently available evidence suggests that if God does exist, he's not around anymore (he made the universe and quit.) Past religions took any observation they didn't understand and apply it to some God. Zeus throws lightning. The Sun is the wheel from Apollo's chariot.

Using God to explain the origin of the universe is just as logically flawed. It's taking something you don't know and transforming it into something you do, but in an intellectually dishonest way.

Throughout history, the realm of God has been driven further and further back. They used to occupy Mount Olympus on Earth. When the Gods proved disappontingly hard to find, people believed they lived up in the clouds. When that was disproven, people now believe that God exists in an alternate dimension (?) or that he is incorporeal. Don't you see that dogmatic belief in God is flawed? And don't you see that if it weren't for science, you would interpret the Bible much differently (earth created in six earth-days, as opposed to your current belief in six god-days, whole earth actually flooded, Earth the center of the Universe, etc.) Again, who has provided the most accurate answers, philisophy or rationality?

It is also very obvious you haven't talked to people who have a relation ship with GOD, because those people are the happiest in the world, and though they might not be rich, they need nothing.

Let me rephrase your opinion: since religion makes people happy, it is valid.

Is happiness the most important thing in the world? If you are content in your belief that the universe was made for your benefit, and that you will live in eternal bliss, does that make it true? No, it just makes death less scary.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins