Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Two Sides To That Coin

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian E. Sloan on July 8, 2001 13:52:44 UTC

Storm, allowing a "driving force" into the Darwinian equation makes you something less than a dogmatic naturalist.

This is a good thing.

Who is more self-deluded, one who accepts the premise of a guiding force, or the one who denies it, despite the evidence?

Stephen J. Gould [avowed atheist/biologist] postulated the notion of non-overlapping magisteria, which as you may know, is the notion that theology and science are non-overlapping disiplines.

"Science studies the age of the rocks, theology studies the Rock of Ages", or something to the effect. What better application of NOMA than allowing ID into mainstream science and then letting the theologians debate the identity of the I in ID.

This too, would be a good thing.

The mysterious external creative element-god you alluded to is the same as Alex's math-god or the god referred to by Einstein, Spinoza and most recently, Hawking.

In my veiw, the commmon thread in the above, is not that the God of the Bible doesn't square with the data so much, but rather, He is prevented from being aknowledged, simply due to dogmatic human-reasoning.

They reject the dogmatism of the Creator.

Another aspect of allowing the driving foot into the door, is that it dictates that there be a determining force in nature, and quite possibly [if not by neccessity], into human history.

In other words, are events determined to happen? I think Hawking addressed this recently. If I am correct, he determined that there is a "determinative element" in nature---he just didn't know what the determination was, or is, or will be.

Of course, how could he.

Brian

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins