Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Stormcrow, You Need SERIOUS Help.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Motumos on July 6, 2001 05:32:17 UTC

Do you see what you are doing? You seem to be VERY confused. The bible does not contradict, in fact, the bible is the most studied and acurate book in the whole planet, and for the longest time, and never has it been proven contradictory.

Lets compare and I will show you,

"ON SEEING GOD
"... I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." -- Genesis 32:30

"No man hath seen God at any time..."-- John 1:18

This is a faulty interpretation. To begin, it is possible for a blind person to speak "face to face" with someone without seeing their face. The phrase "face to face" in the Hebrew mindset means "personally," "directly," or "intimately." Moses had this kind of unmediated relationship with God. But he, like all other mortals, never saw an actual "face" of God. We must not forget the Bible's emphatic statement that "God is a spirit" (John. 4:24). And "a spirit does not have flesh and bones" (Luke 24:39). So, again, God does not have a physical face. Being "face to face" with God simply refers to being in God's direct presence in an intimate way.

ON THE SABBATH DAY
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." -- Exodus 20:8

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." -- Romans 14:5

First, the basis for the command to observe the Sabbath, as stated in Exodus 20:11, is that God rested on the seventh day after six days of work, and that God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it. The Sabbath day was instituted as a day of rest and worship. The people of God were to follow God's example in His pattern of work and rest. However, as Jesus said in correcting the distorted view of the Pharisees, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27). The point Jesus made is that the Sabbath was not instituted to enslave people, but to benefit them. The spirit of Sabbath observance is continued in the New Testament observance of rest and worship on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2).

Second, it must be remembered that, according to Colossians 2:17, the Sabbath was "a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ." The Sabbath observance was associated with redemption in Deuteronomy 5:15 where Moses stated, "Remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day." The Sabbath was a shadow of the redemption that would be provided in Christ. It symbolized the rest from our works and an entrance into the rest of God provided by His finished work.

Finally, although the moral principles expressed in the commandments are reaffirmed in the New Testament, the command to set Saturday apart as a day of rest and worship is the only commandment not repeated. There are very good reasons for this. New Testament believers are not under the Old Testament Law (Rom. 6:14; Gal. 3:2425; 2 Cor. 3:7, 11, 13; Heb. 7:12). By His resurrection on the first day of the week (Matt. 28:1), His continued appearances on succeeding Sundays (John 20:26), and the descent of the Holy Spirit on Sunday (Acts 2:1), the early church was given the pattern of Sunday worship. This they did regularly (Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2). Sunday worship was further hallowed by our Lord who appeared to John in that last great vision on "the Lord's day" (Rev. 1:10). It is for these reasons that Christians worship on Sunday, rather than on the Jewish Sabbath.

ON THE PERMANENCY OF THE EARTH
"... the earth abideth for ever." -- Ecclesiastes 1:4

"... the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." -- 2Peter 3:10

I'm surprised that after you read these, you still continued to say that Jesus warned of an immediate end of the wolrd, which by the way, you are very wrong, and you seem to be the one contradicting yourself. but on to the comparisons and interpretations;

2PETER 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night;
in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise,
and the elements will be dissolved with fervent heat,
and the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

and Ecclesiastes 1:4
One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

That does not contradict!! I have no Idea why you think so. It clearly says that the when wolrd is destroyed, it will not stop from existing. GOD has destoyed the wolrd 2 times already, and the bible verses are still very acurate and both go hand in hand.

ON FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS
"Honor thy father and thy mother..."-- Exodus 20:12

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. " -- Luke 14:26

In those times, the word "miseo" or "Hate"
meant love less. Not Hate as we know today. Even in the future, the word might even mean something else, and it wouldn't mean what is defined then.

All those things you try to use as contradictons are not contradictions at all. In fact, they prove just how acurate and how good they go together. The old testament was not very well understood by many people, thus GOD tried to help interpret it better in the new testament. And of course if you did not know already, text's and gramar in those times are not meant the exact same way they are meant know. Also, you must realise that the satan is also reading the bible for the purpose to try and figure out GOD's plan and to try to stop it. GOD wanted to make the bible in a way that the holy spirit is needed in order to understand to stop the devil from messing up the plan. Of course satan still tries, and there are people who have been deceived by satan. Satan is doing as much as he can to discredit the bible.

I very strongly suggest that if you truly want to know the truth, to search and search and read and read. Not just from a few sources, but as many as you can. Not just in the ones you want to believe, but in even those that you don't want to believe.

I have been constanlty been reading and reading from all sort os sources, from, like I mentioned before, Biology, Anthropology, old testament, new testament, muslim, skeptic's views, history books, newspapers, budhism, and after I have read and heard from all these religions and Scientific thoeries, I came to the conclusion that there is life after death and that Jesuschrist is the Son Of GOD, and the messiah, and that God is the only living GOD.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins