Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Nostradamus

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by daViper on August 3, 1999 08:58:26 UTC

: It is safe to say that the world survived the month of July, 1999. This is the month that Nostradamus predicted would be the beginning of WWIII. It's the most explicit prophecy that I know of, "the 7th month of 1999". : WWIII was to last 25 years according to Nostradamus. There is a required precursor that has not yet happened. According to the monk, we will know that the war is near when the Russian leader with a mark on his head comes back into power. : Which brings me to my view of doomday prophecies. It ain't necessarily so. But it is a warning. I think all such prophecies are viable warnings, which could come true if the world does not keep the peace. : It seems to me that the ingredients for human suicide are built into the system. There must be numerous planets in the universe where intelligent life has evolved. In doing so the lifeforms competed with one another most likely waging war in the process. : War perhaps more than any other impetus fosters technical progress until inevitably each technical civilization developed fission and then fusion weapons. With these weapons we can commit suicide, if we so wish. And every other advanced civilization that ever developed on other planets most likely faced the same challenge. : The prophets merely come to warn us of the possibilities. They tend to predict the worse case scenario so that we take their prophecies more seriously. : So we are living in the most important time of the history of the earth, at least the human history, the time when we decide if our species is to survive, for the means to end our species, or any other intelligent species are built into the structure of the universe. : The time of peril has not passed. But we should be pleased that it's August. :::::::::::::::: Well, I'll drink to that.

As I recall tho it was an asteroid he predicted or some such nonsense about fire from the heavens tho, not WWIII.

Anyway, I never place any stock in predictions since the only ones that ever turn out to be true are the ones made after the fact anyway.

Peace.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins