Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To Paul On Consciousness

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Mario Dovalina on June 27, 2001 01:15:17 UTC

Hi, Paul.

You said:

"As I see it, matter and energy are really thoughts dreamed up by the consciousness. So to say that some of those thoughts "have consciousness" doesn't make much sense. It would make more sense to say that consciousness has thoughts. So, consciousness has people, dogs, brains, etc. instead of the other way around."

I can't disprove that, but I definitely think that you're jumping to conclusions. Ask yourself, do you believe what you believe because you have genuine reason to or because it feels good to believe?

I am aware of no evidence whatsoever that the brain produces the conscious experiences that I experience. Sir Isaac Newton would find the transistor radio completely self-contained and he would find no evidence of an outside agent for the music either.

Eventually, though it might take Sir Isaac a while, he would discover the radio reciever, he would discover that the sound emanating from the speakers turned to fuzz when you're underground, he would discover that if you are in an area with no obstructions then the quality of sound is better, and eventually I would imagine that he would hypothesize that there was some external source to the noise.

It may be true that there is an outside source for consciousness. But, like Sir Isaac, don't jump to conclusions. Even if it was a radio he was studying and not a CD player, why believe in an external source to the music without any real reason to? One step at a time.

By the way, why can your external agent's consciousness exist without a secondary external agent? Just thought I'd ask. :)

I am not trying to get to an exit. I am sitting quietly listening to you guys run or crawl into the walls.

I dunno. You seem pretty sure about that consciousness thing. And even if you are waiting for us to find an exit, at least I'll get out first. :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins