Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
But What About Time?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mike Banks on June 26, 2001 17:32:52 UTC

If it was all just 'there' then wouldn't that mean that time, or the time of our physical world, has been around forever? No one has proven to me that the past is infinite in time, to me it seems impossible(though I do accept room for possibility).

First of all, "infinite" means "unending," or "without end," literally. We all understand that there exists a past, present, and future. The past is before the present, and the present is always continuing. So we humans only observe things in the present, but we can reflect on the past. Then there is the future, which is what hasn't occured yet(and can never be reached). The present is what we exist in always, and the past is what we did exist in, and it goes on before us. But the PAST ENDS IN THE PRESENT. So if the past is infinite in duration, then the present moment(occuring while you read this) could not have come to be. Why? Because if the past is infinite, then it will take an infinite amount of time for the past to become the present. It's like saying there was an infinite amount of time before the year 2001, which means it would take forever to reach the year 2001. Basically it's saying you will never reach that year.

This is one reason I believe there may be a creator outside of time.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins