Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"External Realism"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by K. Young on June 25, 2001 15:36:16 UTC

Brian, to me, the Bible cannot be qualified as an objective moral standard. There are many verses containing seemingly impossible tasks for a human. For instance, Jesus tells us to offer your left cheek if someone hits your right cheek. My survival instinct would kick in before Jesus' teaching would come to my mind. One may say it's supposed to be a guideline for moral living(?). Well, there are other moral teachers besides Christ, such as Buddha, Confucius, etc. Whatever is doubtable is not the truth (the Bible included). The Bible is created by humans (with subjective minds), although inspired by God. I personally accept John Searle's "External Realism". He states that objective reality exists independently of minded [human]beings and their[our] representations. I do not deny that any good intentioned scriptures for they were the result of people's experiences and observations. But the REAL, REAL, reality is out there and you scientists may find the formulas one day(?).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins