Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Science Is Exciting And Interesting Business.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on June 22, 2001 16:53:39 UTC

But, of course, it is not top paid profession.

Average PhD in research is making (in USA) somewhere in $50-$70K/year range, and this also is the range of engineer's salaries, by the way. Yanger - may be even less, order - more. In computers you can make $100K or more, being a doctor or a lawyer - $150-200, being successfull businessman -even much more than that.

So, if you like money more than having interesting job - then science is not for you.

But if you like to be among intellectual people, discussing various exciting topics, writing and solving equations, modelling math on computer, teaching students and others, travel the world for conferences, workshops, simposiums and collaborations as well as to work on exotic facilities like telescopes, accelerators, plasma machines, supercomputers, etc - then science could be your profession.

I personally enjoy science with all its above amendities and with freedom of time and freedom of having no pressure from above (about what to do and when to report results, or how to teach students, etc) and with firm understanding that my salary can be probably 1.5-2 times higher if I cross the street and be a software developer (say, C++ programmer) or so. By the way, you can always walk from research into computing or engineering (but not vice versa). Money were never a first priority for me (but somehow I always had more than I need, including oversize 4-bdrm apartment in russia and 2 oversize houses in US). Interesting occupation was always much more important - I simply can not do what I do not like.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins