Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Success Is Relative

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on June 22, 2001 16:11:59 UTC

At least we have the lack of
>
ambition to save us from such a disaster.

I doubt a neurosurgeon would be happy as a farmer, and I doubt a farmer would be happy as a neurosurgeon. But the thing is, if everyone dropped out of school today and became farmers/fishermen/hunters, there would BE no neurosurgeons to help you when you get a brain tumor.

Happiness is not everything:

happiness can arrive in so many ways. If I were to get a lobotomy today, and keep myself on Ritalin for the rest of my life, I could probably be happier. If I were to live my life helping others, donating to charities, helping the homeless, I could be happier. If I met the woman of my dreams today, and got married, I could be happier. If I abandoned my rational mind and became a religious fundamentalist, I could be happier. If I convinced myself that the only way I could be happy was to annihilate life on earth, and I had a few thousand atom bombs in my basement, I could be happier.

You see? The pursuit of happiness is laudable, but if that pursuit totally disregards the means and focuses on the end (happiness) then it is destructive and foolish. Happiness, like anything else, must be approached from the right angle to be a good thing. Otherwise everyone would be taking bliss pills to achieve satisfaction. According to you, this would be fine. The only thing that matters is that you feel good.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins