Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What About Three Thousand Years Hence?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on June 21, 2001 21:53:39 UTC

Hi Mario,

You are correct in your comparison of science with astrology. Science has given much better answers. The question, though is what will science look like from a future viewpoint.

A large part of the success of science can be attributed to its deliberately narrow field of inquiry. Science tries not deal with any phenomenon which cannot be quantified and measured. What physics has almost completely described is how a universe of quantifiable phenomena must behave. That is, a universe that can in principle be modeled by a set of numbers.

Science has made much less progress answering questions that have not been quantified. In fact some of those, particularly those involving human nature, might even be better answered by astrology. At least astrology beat science to the punch by many centuries with their answers, such as they are, and I would guess that more money is spent today consulting astrologers for help with personal problems than is spent consulting scientists for the same problems.

I'm not saying astrology's answers are any good; I'm just saying that science's answers aren't much better, if at all.

Some questions that science has failed to answer satisfactorily (at least in my firm opinion) are the origin of life, the nature of consciousness, human nature, and the reason for sleep. That failure is understandable because those questions have not yet been meaningfully quantified, and maybe never will be.

There may be some new way discovered of discerning some truths about reality other than 'running numbers' that might prove to be successful in the next three thousand years. If so, it will be after a number of our outstanding mysteries have been solved and explained that people will look back and judge science to have followed the paradigm of astrology.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins