Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Don't Know About That, Dick

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on June 21, 2001 19:10:22 UTC

"Three thousand years ago, the great minds of the world would have laughed their heads off at the idea that astrology was bogus!! You are merely in alignment with the authorities of today, your position is no better thought out than theirs."

Not really, Dick. Both modern physics and astrology have undergone considerable testing and physics is consistently correct while astrology is not. Given, our current understanding of physics is probably not 100% accurate, but it suffices. A comparison would be the transition form Newtonian physics to relativity. We didn't throw out Newton, we just "upgraded" him, so to speak. Very rarely in science is an entire branch discarded, it is just refined to better fit observations. We probably will never have a "perfected" science, but we are moving ever closer.

"There are those who do not think along the lines of the great majority: their reactions and responses to intellectual stimulation are different from the norm. Civilization has assigned a category to those people. They are referred to as "nuts".

It's dangerous to think of yourself as a hero crusading against a hostile, ignorant world. It can lead to arrogance. It's one of the things I try to avoid (not always succesfully) but it's something I'm aware of. Hopefully you are, too.

-Stormcrow

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins