Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hi Paul!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on June 20, 2001 21:47:35 UTC

Hi Paul,

Glad you are feeling better. I wondered about your posts. I thought I had noticed some when you should have been in the mountains. But, back to your comments!

>>>A more fundamental question is, how can we communicate at all given the self referential problems inherent in language? >So, with these pitfalls in mind, what can we say about creating mental models of reality?Now that sounds bad, but I don't think it is impossible.>'Reality' is harder to describe, but I suspect that each of has a notion of what the term should mean.>C. Reality includes our model of reality but not our mentality.>In summary, it is my position that your model covers all of reality that can be described in numbers which is the same as all of reality that can be described at all, but that it does not cover the thinker that is harboring the mental model in his mind. That thinker is the Great Original Dilemma.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins