Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: My Opinion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on June 18, 2001 22:43:42 UTC

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your response. I think all 20 statements are true. I just wanted to check my thinking against the thinking of people smarter than me to help keep me thinking straight.

In statement 16, I tried to capture the idea that Dick, Harv, and I have butted up against so many times. The way I argued it with Harv at one time was to observe that if one had certain knowledge that X was the explanation for the origin of reality, then one was immediately open to the challenge of explaining the origin of X.

It might be claimed that it is X's all the way down. Or it might be claimed that at some point, the very question becomes meaningless. Or some people might allow what I consider to be the unacceptable nonsense of infinite regress.

I guess it is pure speculation on my part, but I think that the ultimate origin of anything is unknowable, just as Dick has eloquently argued several times.

Regardless of the correctness of my speculation, I think the weaker statement that 'No human thinker knows the origin of any thinker.' has a greater or equal probability of being true.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins