Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Cause And Effect

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian E. Sloan on June 13, 2001 13:23:38 UTC

"Have you ever seen or experienced good or evil in any context outside of the human experience? If not, why claim any outside source for these actions?"[Mario]

Mario, if I were to say that I have experienced the goodness of God you will not believe me.

My point is that what we call evil is an effect, the deeper existential "evil" is in our hearts, and is the cause of evil. You would deny cause and effect?

Atheism, by neccessity, dictates that evil be described in only subjective terms. For example your describing good/evil in evolutionary terms differs little from the sort of pragmatism used by Hitler when he said the Jews need eliminated for the "good" of [his] society.

On what basis is your "good" any better than Hitler's if they are both based in a subjective view of reality?

On what basis do we reason agianst the McVeighs and Hitlers of the world after we deny an objective basis for moral judgment?

Brian

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins