Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tim McViegh

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on June 12, 2001 16:49:53 UTC

Brian,

With regard to your position, I am afraid I must wholeheartedly endorse Tenacious on this. I am of the opinion that there is a far greater difference between us (Tenacious, Paul and I) and Tim McViegh than there is between you and Tim McViegh.

Both you and Tim McViegh believe that "good and evil" is fixed by some authority outside your own ability to think. We, on the other hand, think that we need to think about these issues.

As I say, I agree with Tenacious but I would add one cautious note: intellectuals often fail to take into account their own lack of knowledge.

In my opinion, everything mankind does they do for a reason. When the rules (which survival of our group has brought to us) appear to be stupid or otherwise make no sense, it usually means we do not understand what brought the behavior about.

Intellectuals often want to change those rules. I say, be very careful because changing those rules (the seemingly stupid ones) can often be the most dangerous move of all: i.e., don't go changing things unless you know exactly why it has come to be the way it is.

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins