Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Government Makes Enemies, Not People.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on May 29, 2001 21:45:13 UTC

Being raised in moslim country (Azerbaijan), educated in communist one (Russia) and finally resided in a capitalistic one (USA), I found no difference in people's values (versus big differences in government's priorities).

In all 3 places the value #1 was family. Being happy in love and having children. Value #2 was again the same in all 3 places - access to good education (=good schools nearby for kids and good colleges available countrywide). Value #3 was again the same - availability of good work (=interesting job with fair pay). All other values were basicly similar too (good and affordable house or apartment, low crime/drug environment, good car(s) or public transportation, good medical care, proximity to civilisation and availability of entertainment (TV, theaters, etc).

I did not live in environment with any active conflict/war going on around, but I imagine that if I would then first priority (of society) would be to stop conflict or first priority of members would be to move out.

By the way, in all places faith was considered as something personal and not as a really significant value. (Also, in all places I never heard that people with different faith can be considered enemies due to faith difference).

So, I think it is uncivilised and against fundamental values to consider others enemy due to difference in faith.

Therefore, Yazir, you may try to explain to your friends/parents/teachers, that all the people want, is to have a happy family, a good job (and education), and a good life (in a peace, of course) - regardless the difference in color or in faith.

If your friends do not understand this, they either are immature (= still kids) or brainwashed by faith leaders. If you can not convince them, give it up. Do not try to make more enemies than you already have. Just go your way and move out if you want to live in better environment.

Job satisfaction is very important for men. Women can be happy with family alone, but men have to have something more than a good family to be happy. So, interesting work is important. If you can not have it where you live (and if you can not even get good enough education for it), then you have no choice as to move to more civilized place.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins