Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Do You Replace It With

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian E. Sloan on May 13, 2001 21:40:50 UTC

Hey Philo. I am interested in what sort of mechanism you would replace the concept of sin with.

Sin, from a Judeo-Christian perspective, is a transgression of God's Law. Without the Law there would be no sin.

The Bible speaks about the "mystery of lawlessness", which is one of the signs of the end of the age.

I take this to mean, that men will do away with the concept of sin [ignoring for the moment, that if the Law is transcendent, whether simply pretending it doesn't exist is sufficient to do away with it] as it is considered a burden and/or cumbersome to one's life-style.

I have given this some consideration. It seems to me, that if a system of ethics or moral standards, is not derived from a transcendent or unchanging source, then the only alternative is a system which is changing.

That is, what is deemed right or wrong, will be variable and dictated soley by the whim of the individual or the populace.

There is recent historical evidence to support this. Stalin, saw fit to murder 30 million of his own people, for purely pragmatic reasons. They were deemed unfit to live.

How do you tell a Stalin he is wrong?

Brian

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins