Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Difficult To Define Rules

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on May 8, 2001 23:01:02 UTC

Paul,

I think it is slightly a misconception to say that the rules of logic/mathematics exist unless we define the term 'exist'. By that term in this instance I am saying that they exert causal powers onto phenomenal reality (for a certain class this phenomenal reality may not be physical but in the minds of mathematicans and logicians). The rules themselves are not phenomenal.

Thus, the rules that 'exist' (i.e., exert causal function) are simply those rules that obtain. That is, a rule obtains if it properly corresponds to the picture that it creates (for example, the equation of a circle properly corresponds to the phenomenal depiction of a circle). It should also cohere with all the other rules that 'exist'. If it cannot be found to cohere, then of course the rule becomes at least questionable. If the lack of cohering becomes sharp enough, then it becomes paradoxial which may or may not be resolvable (at least by humans). If genuine paradoxes of math and logic hold (i.e., not resolvable by any effort conceivable) then this would imply that the logic that disacknowledges paradoxes is either a restricted case of a much more permissive logic reality or that my whole platonist concept is totally thrown in the dumpster!

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins