Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Irrationality

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on May 4, 2001 03:43:33 UTC

Apart from math (irrational numbers) I consider irrationality to be anything impossible to explain or not bound by reason. If the Earth were to suddenly start flying off into outer space with no apparant stimulus, I might consider that irrational. If the sun suddenly disappeared, that might be condidered irrational. (by our current understanding of science, that is) but I do not consider "limitations" like the Heisenberg Uncertainty to be irrational. It's perfectly rational that we not be able to detect both velocity and position, to me at least. Confusing, but not irrational.

My problem with Yanniru's thought is that pretty much anything he can't explain (entanglement) he calls irrational to justify other irrational beliefs. Entanglement may be irrational if our current science is 100% correct. But apparantly it isn't, and to dub something irrational based on a constantly evolving and developing knowledge is misleading.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins