Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well, Nature Does Not Philosophize.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on May 3, 2001 02:17:31 UTC

Belief is a human concept (belief=accepting without proof). I do not accept anything without proof, thus have no beliefs to shadow my mind. I state facts: natural laws come from symmetries regardless if there are humans, aliens, observers, no observers, etc. and regardless that some observers have belief in god(s), some in santas, some in no evolution. Also regardless how u label relationships between symmetries and natural laws (what notation one uses).

So, it is just a philosophical discussion about how to label reactions of our senses on the physical processes . I do not want to be involved into swampy inconsistency of philosophy with its lack of clear definitions and (frequent) lack of logic.

I do not like when people can not even define what they discuss. Because in most cases the problem would end right there - with clear definition.

Talking about human senses and mental models can be endless unless you clearly define things like reality, model(s), thoughts, perception, consciousenes/subconsciouseness, natural/ supernatural, truth,... etc, and unless you use logic in discussion.

I simply do not feel that talking about opinions, tastes and feelings WITHOUT clearly defined things is any productive.

And again, I do not have any belief (=accepting with no proof). Vice versa, mathematics had been PROVEN to be correct in shaping objects of the universe and in describing/predicting FACTS of their interactions many times over and over and overwelmingly accurate.

Math is probably the only discipline in which PROOF is a law. Nothing is left to faith (=accepting with no proof). Unlike any religion.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins