Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Pythagoras's Theorem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on May 1, 2001 16:14:39 UTC

Dick,

I think the important thing these people are trying to say, even if they don't see it that way, is that it doesn't really matter what's "out there", beyond the confines of the subconscious mind. What seems important is that you can't come up with a definition of flat two-dimensional space in which Pythagoras' theorem is not true. They seem to think there's something transcendental about that fact.

Of course you know that the definition of a flat two-dimensional space already carries Pythagoras' theorem buit-in, not to mention the whole of linear geometry, and that most people are in the habit of amazing themselves at the obvious fact that there are multiple ways of saying exactly the same thing.

But I'm not sure I fully understand the significance of that and I haven't seen you, or anyone else, explaining it either. I suppose it's time we learn that we perceive reality the way we do because we somehow choose to do so. The meaningful question then becomes, why do we make such choices? Some people think it's because the choices are forced upon us not by our subconscious but by reality itself. I wonder if you can prove them wrong, your paper alone doesn't seem to do the trick.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins