Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
How I See Things

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 27, 2001 20:35:54 UTC

On a more serious side, here's my criteria for truth:

I accept some things as absolutely true. Not too many but still a reasonable number. For instance, I know I exist. I know other people exist. I know they are as conscious as I am. I know there are things other than myself and other people. I can never know what those things are, I can only have a mental representation for them.

The above pretty much sums up everything I know, all the rest I consider belief of some sort and is therefore open to speculation. These few things that I know, I consider them to be absolutely true.

How do I know they are absolutely true? It's quite simple: if they are not true then nothing else matters, nothing at all. The only knowledge I'm interested in are the informed opinions I can gather from those truths and from experience, everything else is just folly and completely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

I find that an extremely reasonable test for truth, one that puts a simple end to philosophical masturbation.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins