Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Thoughts

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on April 27, 2001 18:45:38 UTC

I'd say thought exists, yeah. I can't be sure, but I can be a heck of a lot more sure of that than anything else I can think (if thoughts exist, of course :) of.

Philosophical conversations can get a bit sticky because we use concrete terms to discuss extremely abstract concepts. Take "thought" for example. If you mean the sensation of consciousness, then it does exist, because I am conscious, even if it's just an illusion of my biology. If you mean all the physiological and physical terms accociated with thought, then maybe it doesn't.

You've got to be really careful in discussions like this. I have a sneaky suspicion that me and Aurino are in disagreement solely because of incongruous definitions of religion. Especially in philosophy, to get your point across untainted you've got to be very specific.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins