Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Good, Maybe We Can Both Learn Something,

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on April 27, 2001 17:01:44 UTC

Hi Richard,

I think you meant the limit of 1/x as x->0.

I don't really think you and I have any disagreement, Richard. I agree that it is legitimate, and customary, to define infinity in mathematics and to explore the consequences of the concept.

We also agree that there is no know infinity in nature.

My point is that I think that mathematics would be more useful if we did not include the concept of infinity. It seems to me that a 'grainy' math would be better suited to describe phenomena in our 'grainy' world than our current 'smooth' math is.

It looks like mathman in the next post is in a position to take the other side of my argument. Maybe we can both learn something from what he has to say.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins