Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Just For Fun...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on April 25, 2001 14:38:20 UTC

Paul,

Just for fun I'll list a few 'isms' that you seem to be affiliated:

Constructivist: You deny mathematical infinities

Platonist: You believe non-infinite mathematical structures have an ontological existence.

Theist: You believe in the existence of God or gods.

Idealist: You believe that material things are not the ultimate reality, but rather the mental aspects of the world are primary.

Dualist: You believe that the mind is not the brain, but rather there is 'something' else non-material to human consciousness.

Spiritualist: You believe that humans can contact spirits from other worlds.

Presentist: You believe that the passage of time is real and not something that is an illusion. There is a 'now'.

Endurantist: I'm guessing here, but I think you think that all of 'you' is in the 'now'. That is, the 'you' of 5 years ago is now 'you'.

Scientific realist: I'm guessing again, but you seem to be both a theoretical-realist and entity-realist. That is, you think the laws of physics exist independent of the human mind and the entities that physicists describe are also real.

Phenomenologist: At times your philosophy has struck me as somewhat phenomenologist because you have emphasized the importance of the observer to the point to where I sensed that you thought only in terms of the observer. This somewhat contradicts the scientific realist part of you, so maybe you are a person in conflict (along with your constructivism/platonism sides).

Don't worry, none of the above are fatal (smile).

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins