Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Refusing To Argue A Common Human Trait

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 25, 2001 14:22:56 UTC

Mario,

I don't know how long you've been a defender of atheism, but I've been experiencing some of what has bothered you.

> THAT is what enrages me. Not people who
> disagree with me, not people who argue with me,
> but people who REFUSE to argue and refuse to
> open their eyes.

This is NOT unique to theists, it's a trait common to humans. I think it's because we can do things our own way and sometimes events turn out acceptably well even when we ignore wise advice. Therefore, we've learned that we don't have to pay heed to what other people say, we can usually just ignore them.

Since I was recently in the market for a car I saw this in action. When people would recommend one or more cars or criticize one or more, I realized I could do whatever I wanted despite their advice. I could ignore their advice and possibly still do alright. I might take their advice and end up having a worse vehicle. I tended to rely on Consumer reports, the NADA Trade-In value, and my mechanic to help me determine a good buy.

I think I got a good buy, but we'll see how repair bills come in during the next few years.

Theists figure they've made a good buy and don't seem to be bothered that no one comes back to tell them that they've bought the right philosophy.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins