Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
True

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on April 25, 2001 00:28:45 UTC

I try to hold my frustrations in check for the most part, though I have flown off the handle here two or three times that I remember. What you say is true, though. My blood boils when I see people hold rock-solid beliefs with no reason for doing so. I suppose this may be considered a vendetta.

However, if someone says something I disagree with, like "I believe in the Bible" or "Jesus was God's son" I don't get angry. I simply present my arguments against their opinion, and wait for a counterargument.

More often than not, no counterargument comes. I can argue the unreliability of the Bible, I can point out historical inaccuracies, I can point out self-contradictions, I can point out the historical background of both the Old and New Testements and say why they would be prone to error. I could write a 50 page essay on the subject, and I still wouldn't get any counterarguments and I still wouldn't change any minds.

THAT is what enrages me. Not people who disagree with me, not people who argue with me, but people who REFUSE to argue and refuse to open their eyes. Theists with reason to believe and with minds open enough to try to counter my arguments are fine. As I have said before, willing ignorance is my greatest pet peeve.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins