Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Coincidence?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on April 23, 2001 02:57:41 UTC

Hi Brian,

I am not very familiar with eastern religions and not at all with New Age religions, so I don't think I got my ideas from them. It could be coincidence, or it just might be that truth is the same no matter the route to obtain it. Just a guess.

As for evil, in my scheme the thing that makes sense to me is that god, or whatever you call the intelligent agent that created it all, is not perfect. In particular, I think he has not forseen the consequences of his creations. I think he has been surprised at times, both at the good and marvelous results, and also at the negative results at other times. I think that the appearance of predation and parasitism as very successful life strategies were a surprising disappointment in the experiment of terrestrial life.

I think the evil we see among humans is simply either parasitism or predation but just more sophisticated than we see in other species.

To me, the major cosmic principle at work, in addition to creation of novelty, is the principle of unintended consequences. That seems to explain more than anything else to me.

Don't misunderstand me; I don't mean to knock the creator. I think is doing the best he can and that he has done a stupendously magnificent job so far. He deserves our utmost awe and respect.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins