Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
How About Taking The Next Logical Step?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on April 22, 2001 18:23:53 UTC

Hi Phil,

I think you are exactly right in what you wrote. A couple of things stand out though that I think we should think about:

1. The variation among individuals' perception of god.

2. The vast gulf between our individual mental capability and the scope of the universe.

3. "[I]f there were some entity in this universe which held such power that we would equate it with a god", how might we perceive it if somehow our mental capacity could be 'enlarged' or 'empowered' so that it could comprehend reality on the true scope and scale of the universe?

Just guessing, it seems to me that if our mental capacities could continuously expand from our current limited capabilities to that enormous power, our individual minds would begin to 'merge' on the way up, as for example you and I each became totally aware of each other's thoughts, and that at the very top of that complete merger, there would only be a single mind, or consciousness subsuming all of the previously individual ones.

That would be consistent with the notion of "becoming one with god" that so many religions and mystics have talked about.

I think that behind the scenes, the structure of consciousness is one big comprehensive consciousness that is somehow fractionated with small fracions of it "residing" in and operating each of our individual biological bodies. I think the only reason each of our minds is so limited and doesn't have much access to the greater reality or consciousness, is that this one consciousness of god's is preoccupied with the demands of attention in running the day-to-day processes of life in each organism.

Just something to think about.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins