Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tenacious My Friend!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian E. Sloan on April 21, 2001 13:11:18 UTC

It is good to see you again. I hope all is well.

Boy, this place has gotten busier scince I left--can't hardly keep up with the responses.

The conceptual basis I use to think of thought [sheesh], is that our brains are simply a tool of the mind. And that thoughts originate from where-ever the mind exists.

As evidence of this, I would point to sciences' inability to fully elucidate their essential nature. In other words, if I am right, thoughts are not amenable to scientific inquiry.

Tenacious, you will probably disagree, but in my mind, if the conventional thinkers are correct, that the brain is a self-contained apparatus [mind is what the brain does?] then they should easily find pharmacological cures for things like depression or other psych disorders.

That is, if these disorders were really comprised of nothing more than brain chemistry "gone out of wack", they should be able to easily concoct some cure. Of course, they have had some success in this area, but the track record is spotty.

I contend, that depression etc, is a consequence of the mind and spirit. This is not to say, that there is not a brain chemistry component to these maladies. However, I think that these chemical changes are secondary to the mind/spiritual dysfunction that precedes them.

Brian

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins