Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Atheism Or Achristianity?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 20, 2001 13:56:35 UTC

John,

Don't you think that most people who call themselves atheists are in fact more concerned about the blatant nonsense of Christian scriptures than about the existence of some sort of metaphysical being whose true nature nobody ever dared define?

I see the quest to prove the non-existence of God as completely futile since no one can disprove the existence of something that's not even properly defined to start with. The best definition of God I came across was "the eternal mystery", and that is something no one can seriously claim does not exist. So much for meaningless talk!

On the other hand the ignorance and superstition fostered by biblical texts is a concrete target and a much more sensible subject to discuss. I think it's useless to try and disprove God with the ultimate goal of invalidating the content of scriptures when the content itself is so much easier a target.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins