Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: 8,000 Year Old Universe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by bzrd on July 18, 1999 02:26:16 UTC

: Hopefully you guys will pardon my tenuous grasp of cosmology, but, what do you think of this? Assuming after the first instant of creation the energy that was converted to matter existed as a plasma, and that time and space do not exist except in the prescence of matter, then in the interval of time(?) that the matter was in the plasma state would allow for a rather significant period of inflation. This seems to suggest that the universe could already be quite sizable by the time all the energy was converted into matter.

: ::::::::::::: : Interesting point.

: The common conception of the Big Bang leaves most lay persons like myself mistakenly thinking of a "space" in which some infinitessimally small point erupted in. I read, and try to understand that this concept is actually wrong. The Big Bang is actually all of currently known "space" being part of what the expansion process is also, so in a sense I think what you are saying here (if I read correctly) is that there was a "sizeability" to the universe itself. The Big Bang forces us to grapple with the difference between "space" and "nothing", a difficult thing to do admittedly. As such, one would have a hard time trying to counter what you say here wouldn't they. As long as we remember that "all" the energy has not been converted to matter otherwise, there would be no present "forces" at all. I think what you mean is all the energy converted to matter WE NOW HAVE, but then matter continues to renew itself thru stellar evolution, and energy is both consumed and emitted in the process, even as we speak.

: I can't disagree with you on this one, but like other hypotheses at this level of speculation, it would probably be as hard to prove as to disprove.

Following my line of thought, is it possible that an observer to the creation of the universe would not see anything until the universe was expanded to a sizable percentage of its present size? Also, would that not call into question the age estimation of the cosmos, given that the numbers are based on time/distance?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins