Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
No, I'm Not Joking

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on April 19, 2001 21:19:39 UTC

Hi Aurino,

I don't see the tie-in to the split brain research to having many 'minds' (as the article suggested). First, it isn't entirely known whether the eliminativists are wrong when they think that mind is purely an epiphenomenon (they don't think they are wrong). If they correct, then of course we possess not 2, not 1, but zero minds. Others see mind as a supervenient property of the brain and this means that 'mind' cannot be reduced to brain functioning (although irreducible it is still the brain that is thought to make mind possible). So, I don't buy into our subconscious being another 'us'. Rather, I see the subconscious as part of who we are.

If I'm then I'm wrong. But, identifying another person inside each of us strikes me as having not much merit.

Wr, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins